Monday 9 March 2015

Welcome

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship..."

I can't believe I am finally doing this! After years of procrastination, I am finally starting my very own classic movie blog! Before I start sharing my love of classic films with you all through movie and book reviews, I thought it best to provide a little bit of an introduction....

Firstly, my name is Laura, I'm 23 years old and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a film school graduate (2011) and, up until two months ago, was successfully working towards a career as a sports editor. Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I was forced to quit my job and, as a result, I am unsure of what the future holds for me (especially in regards to my career).

For as long as I can remember, I have loved film. In a world full of confusion and chaos, it has been the one thing that always made sense to me. That's why I'm here. Because, in the midst of my career crisis, I have realised that watching films and discussing films makes me happy.

Robert Walker in "Strangers on a Train" (1951)
Last week I enrolled myself in a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in Screen Culture). It has been something I've always wanted to do, but yet somehow never imagined was actually possible. While I acknowledge there are many negatives about my current situation, there is one glaring positive- I finally get to live out my dream of studying film! I don't know if it'll lead to anything but I'm excited about the prospect of spending every day doing something I love.


I used to write reviews on Tumblr for the old movies I watched (which you can view here) but, since stopping last year, I've become a little rusty- that's why I've started this blog. This gives me a chance to flex my film analysis muscles a little bit and also share my passion with other classic film enthusiasts. I hope you enjoy what I have to say and I can't wait to get started.

Laura xx

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Classic Movie Blogging World!! My (real) name is also Laura and I'm 25. I started my movie blog in October! I'm so jealous that you are getting to take film classes!! There is nothing I would like more right now than to enroll at a school in Los Angeles and get a Film Studies degree but alas.. I owe too much still from regular college.

    Love your blog header by the way. I finally got around to putting pictures on mine today :/ Can't wait to read more of your posts!

    Phyl/Laura
    http://phyllislovesclassicmovies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! It's so nice to meet you, Laura :) I am actually following your blog and, I have to say, you've written some really interesting pieces. I particularly enjoyed your Countdown to Oscars series, you included some really interesting facts (some which I didn't already know!). Can't wait to read more of your work!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I was planning on writing more but I was sick for two weeks with the flu and then the Oscars were over :( Looking forward to reading your work too!!

      Delete